Carbon Monoxide Kills – Get a Detector

By December 12, 2016Blog

This year for Christmas, give your loved ones the gift of safety – a carbon monoxide detector.

Carbon monoxide is┬áscentless, colorless, and tasteless, but it’s extremely deadly. Carbon monoxide is created any time you burn a fuel, like gasoline, natural gas, wood, oil, propane, or charcoal. When the carbon monoxide can’t dissipate because the burning is happening inside a house or garage, the result can be deadly. Hundreds of people die and tens of thousands are hospitalized due to accidental carbon monoxide poisoning each year.

If you’re exposed to a toxic level of carbon monoxide, you probably won’t realize it until it’s too late. Carbon monoxide poisoning causes a person to feel dizzy, nauseated, and confused. When levels are high enough, you lose consciousness. If immediate actions are not taken to remove the person from the carbon monoxide, death results.

A carbon monoxide detector can alert you that you are being exposed to toxic levels of carbon monoxide. The detectors typically alert you about high levels of carbon monoxide in your home with enough time to escape to safety. If you’re asleep, the loud alarm of a carbon monoxide detector can wake you up.

Current building codes require a carbon monoxide detector to be installed outside of each bedroom. However, many homes built before 2008 are not equipped with carbon monoxide detectors. For as little as $25, you can buy your family a carbon monoxide detector to help keep them safe. This year, when you’re ordering Christmas gifts for your family, why not include a carbon monoxide detector? You just may save their lives.

Here’s a link to a $25 carbon monoxide detector on Amazon.com. Or visit your local hardware store to buy one in person.